Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Every Year About This Time....

...I get a speeding ticket. Last year it was the first day of Spring Break. This year it's two days before Spring Break. I don't know if it's spring fever or just the music I listen too. Tonight I was listening to "The Devil's Right Hand"
Steve Earle - Essential Steve Earle
I had just turned out of the gym and was driving down the road at a leisurely 48 mph, when I saw the flashing red and blue lights. Unfortunately it was in a residential neighborhood. So that's a $200 fine + $50 processing fee + $10 local fee + $7 for every mph over the speed limit (I was 13 mph over). It adds up to $351. I'm teaching this ESL class hoping to make $600 towards a new computer. Now with this speeding ticket plus a dentist bill for a cracked tooth... I won't be getting a new computer. Darn. It's strange how it works that way. Seems like when we make extra money we lose it just as fast. I was asking God about it (I was kinda mad at Him actually). I mean I tithe 10%, I'm honest on my taxes, and I buy Wal-Mart crap instead of the good stuff... so why can't I just keep a little extra spending money?? One of the great things about God is that He lets you vent. Then He gently prods you with the truth: "David, you were speeding. You like speeding. You know it's wrong but you do it anyway. It wasn't My hand on the wheel... and it wasn't the Devil's right hand... it was your hand." So I'll pay the price for my sins, and thank God that I don't have to pay the eternal price, because He paid that for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home